According to a recent Jewelers of America Report, “the typical American couple spent an average of $4,000 on an engagement ring, an extra $1,000 on the bride’s wedding ring, and an extra $500 on the groom’s band.”
A wedding band is one of the most important purchases you’ll make during your lifetime and marks a new beginning. As the cost of jewelry continually rises, you don’t want to start your married life in debt. Here are a few ideas from one of the leading jewelers in Albuquerque to save money and still get the best quality wedding band.
- Solitaire – A single stone. Still the most popular choice in engagement rings. The head secures the diamond. Prongs allow the diamond to catch the most light. A four-prong-setting shows more of the diamond, but a six-prong setting is often more secure.
- Sidestone – Diamonds or other gemstones, flank the main stone for additional sparkle or color. Popular sidestone settings include ‘channel’, which protects stones by keeping them flush, and ‘bar-channel’, which allows more light to enter the sidestones.
- Three Stone – One diamond for the past, one for the present, and one for the future. Typically, the center diamond is larger than the two side stones.
A popular design choice that you won’t have to spend a small fortune on a wedding ring is a ring with a halo setting which can create the illusion of a larger stone. It’s important to pick the right setting for your wedding band, it can save you a lot of money and your ring can still look marvelous.
Pavé (pah-vey) – The main stone is surrounded by tiny diamonds to add sparkle and the illusion of greater size.
Choose a wedding band that is well pavéd with beautiful diamonds from one of the leading jewelry stores in Albuquerque to create the impression of a bigger diamond. Your jeweler can help you to create a brilliant ring.
Consider investing in wedding sets instead of buying an engagement ring and wedding band separately. Wedding sets are popular these days. You can also customize the wedding set to achieve the style you like. Using the same jeweler for all the three rings will provide you with continuity of style to look great on your wedding day.
Less than a Carat
Did you know the main cost of a diamond wedding band is in the carat weight of the diamond you choose? Moreover, the difference between a 1-carat diamond and say a 0.98-carat diamond is huge, yet the overall size and appearance do not change much. So, choosing a slightly lower the carat size can reduce cost without affecting the appearance of your wedding ring.
Other Tips & Ideas
- Avoid visiting big-name chain stores to get your wedding ring. They always come with huge overheads, the costs are usually higher and the quality is minimal.
- When purchasing a diamond, know what diamond shape suits her. If she hasn’t made it easy for you by already voicing an opinion on the subject (or admiring someone else’s engagement ring), here are a few things to keep in mind when considering shape:
- She will be wearing this ring 24/7 every day of your married life. It will need to go with everything from jeans to evening wear. If you’re uncertain about her shape preference, it’s sensible to stick to the classics. They became classics because they appeal to most people most of the time.
- Cutting styles with fewer facets, such as emerald cut or rose cut, require higher clarity.
- Your jeweler should be armed with expert training, open to questions and able to provide answers in clear, simple language.
- Professional training can help you evaluate how knowledgeable a jeweler is. Preferably, their training comes from a highly-recognized and internationally accredited program, such as the GIA Graduate Gemologist (GG) or Applied Jewelry Professional (AJP) diploma programs.
- Select a reputable jeweler as you would select your doctor from Albuquerque jewelry stores to find high quality, inexpensive wedding bands.
Make sure not to compromise on the quality of the diamond or wedding bands while looking for great discounts.